Under The Sun
Posted on: February 15, 2019
We all know the importance of sun protection in the summer months. Being outdoors under the blazing sun, we need to have protection against the harmful UV rays. Living in Canada, our winters are long and harsh and don’t hold characteristics one might associate with sunburn and skin cancer. During my last visit to a Medi-Spa with my friend, we discussed what improvements we wanted to see in our skin. We were informed about the large role sun protection plays in the overall appearance of our skin. We also learned about the importance of sun protection during our cold winter months, which surprised us both. UVB rays which are associated with sunburn and skin cancer are less significant in winter but there is not a significant decrease in UVA rays which are carcinogenic and the primary cause of skin aging. Even though it may be cloudy outside and the sunlight is unable to penetrate the clouds, UV rays sure can. It’s been estimated that 90 per cent of skin aging is caused by exposure to sunlight, even more reason to slather on the sunscreen. I was also surprised to learn that in addition to the sun’s rays, we need to protection against blue rays from our phones and computer screens. I thought being indoors all day at work that I was safe but being indoors is no escape from potential damage. Long-term exposure to blue light can cause inflammation, colour changes, skin damage and weakening of the skin. It promotes stressors in the skin that causes aging. I was recommended to use an SPF of at least 30, those with darker skin tones have more melanin which protects the skin and can use a lower SPF.
I’ve rounded up some sunscreen picks from Rexall that will give your skin the protection it needs.
1. AVEENO® Natural Protection Lotion Sunscreen with Broad Spectrum SPF 50 provides even the most sensitive skin with broad spectrum UVA/UVB sun protection.
2. Eucerin® Sun Face Anti-Age Fluid SPF 30 is a lightweight, hydrating sunscreen which utilizes an antioxidant called Lichocalcone A to help neutralize the free radicals caused by both UV and blue light.
3. VICHY® IDÉAL SOLEIL CREAM SPF 30 uses a photostable formula with Mexoryl XL®, a patented broad spectrum filter along with other powerful filters such a Octocrylene Avobenzone, that protects the skin from UVA and UVB rays. Its creamy and fast-drying texture hydrates the skin without leaving any white or sticky residue.
4. JERGENS® Natural Glow® +PROTECT Daily Moisturizer Sunscreen provides sun protection to defend against everyday sun exposure. The formula contains color-enhancing ingredients that begins to subtly and gradually deepen your natural skin tone in a few days for that perfect sun kissed glow.
5. MAYBELLINE® BABY LIPS Moisturizing Lip Balm. Don’t forget about your lips! This lip balm is enriched with SPF 20 and is lightly tinted so it can be worn alone or under lipstick.
Speak to one of the beauty experts at Rexall to find out more info and which sunscreen is best for your needs.