Local & Proud: Spinach & Garlic
Posted on: July 25, 2023
Pairing locally sourced “superfoods” like spinach, which helps stabilize your blood glucose levels, helps in reducing your risk of developing cancer, and is good for bone health, with garlic—which has strong evidence to suggest it can improve cardiovascular health by reducing blood pressure and improving cholesterol profiles is one of the smartest additions you can bring to a meal! Both available at Cloverdale’s Fresh Pickin’s event, in partnership with Metro, August 3 – 6, 2023. Tap into this recipe from Metro to get #allyouneed from these superfoods.
PROSCIUTTO AND SPINACH DEEP DISH SKILLET PIZZA
1 small butternut squash
1 large garlic head
3 tablespoons (45 ml) Extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon (5 ml) salt
1 teaspoon (5 ml) fresh ground pepper
2 tablespoons (30 ml) finely chopped fresh sage
Pistachio Chili oil:
¼ cup (60 ml) extra virgin olive oil
½ teaspoon (2,5 ml) dried chili flakes
2 tablespoons (30 ml) finely chopped pistachios
1 1/2 lbs (700 g) store-bought pizza dough
1 1/2 cups (375 ml)Selection shredded Mozzarella Cheese
1 cup (250 ml) butternut squash sauce
1 cup (250 ml) fresh baby spinach leaves
1/4 cup (60 ml) thinly sliced red onions
5-6 slices prosciutto
Preheat oven to 425°F.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
To make sauce :
1. Wash and dry butternut squash. Trim each end to remove stem and bottom. Cut squash in half lengthwise and remove seeds. Place squash cut side up on baking sheet. Sprinkle each with 1 tbsp (15 ml) oil and season with salt and pepper.
2. Trim garlic top to slightly expose the cloves. Drizzle opening with 1 tbsp (15 ml) of oil and wrap garlic with foil. Place on baking sheet with squash.
3. Roast in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes until squash has softened.
4. Place squash and softened garlic cloves in food processor or blender. Leave the skin on the squash as it is soft and edible. Process until smooth creamy sauce. Place in bowl and mix in sage. Set aside until ready to use.
To make chili oil :
1. Stir all ingredients together and set aside until ready to use.
2. Preheat oven to 450°F.
To make pizza :
1. Oil a 12 inch (30 cm) round cast iron skillet.
2. Dust surface lightly with flour and roll out pizza dough just over 12 inches (30 cm) round. Place in cast iron pan and bring dough up the sides to fit properly.
3. Sprinkle evenly 1/2 cup (125 ml) of the shredded mozzarella on top of the dough. Dollop the squash sauce all around on the mozzarella. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top evenly.
4. Top evenly with spinach and red onions. Bake for 20 -25 minutes until crust is golden and browned.
5. Remove, top with prosciutto and drizzle with Pistachio Chili Oil before serving.
Recipe source: Metro
More garlic facts here.
August 3 to 6, 2023 – Fresh Pickin’s: Where the taste of local meets the artistry of balloons. Shop local seasonal fruits and veggies at our pop-up market, in partnership with Metro. Plus, it’s a feast for the eyes at our fruit-themed balloon photo op. Snap a pic and share it on social media tagging @cloverdalemall and #freshpickins for your chance to win a $250 Cloverdale Shopping Spree!*
*Event info and full contest rules and regulations here.