Local & Proud: Cherries & Strawberries
Posted on: July 29, 2023
Bring two of the best summer fruits—cherries and strawberries together, and make it the perfect addition to your weekend festivities. Peruse and pick up some at Cloverdale’s Fresh Pickin’s event, in partnership with Metro, August 3 – 6, 2023. Get into this sweet and tangy recipe from Metro:
CHERRY AND STRAWBERRY GALETTE
1 ¾ cup (225 g) all purpose flour
½ teaspoon (2,5 ml) salt
5 tablespoon (60 g) Selection all vegetable shortening
6 tablespoon (72 g) chilled and cubed unsalted butter
5 tablespoon (75 ml) ice water
2 cups (350 g) pitted halved fresh cherries
2 cups (350 g) fresh strawberries sliced
⅓ cup (70 g) sugar
1 tablespoon (15 ml) cornstarch
1. Whisk together the flour and salt. Add the cold butter and vegetable shortening using a pastry cutter or two forks until the dough becomes shaggy. Pour the ice water a tablespoon at a time and mix until the dough barely holds together. Don’t over mix.
2. Turn dough out onto large piece of parchment paper.
3. Fold the shaggy dough several times until the majority of the flour absorbs the moisture from the butter/water. Some dry parts are okay.
4. Separate about 1/4 of the dough (for the maple leaf cut outs)
5. Flatten the two pieces of dough into discs about 1 inch thick. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
6. Lightly flour your work surface and rolling pin. Roll out your large dough disc about 12 inches.
7. Transfer to a baking tray lined with parchment paper. And roll out your small dough disc about 5-6 inches
8. Take your leaf plunger cutter (I used a 2-inch cutter) and cut out a few maple leaves and place on parchment paper on baking tray. Refrigerate for about 15 minutes.
1. Toss the sliced strawberries, halved cherries, cornstarch and sugar together in a large bowl. Set aside.
2. Assembling the Galette:
3. Preheat the oven to 375F with oven rack in middle.
4. Spread the cherries and strawberries in the middle of the dough leaving about 2 inches from the edge. Fold or scallop the edges upwards.
5. Bake galette and the maple leaf cut-outs for 35 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the berries are bubbling. Check in at 20 minutes and loosely cover the maple leaf cut outs with foil if they are browning too quickly.
Recipe source: Metro
• Make sure the cherries are dry. Keep cherries unwashed, as moisture will accelerate spoilage. If they are wet, pat dry with paper towels. Only rinse with cold water right before consuming or cooking.
August 3 to 6, 2023 – Fresh Pickin’s: Where the taste of local meets the artistry of balloons. Shop local seasonal fruits and veggies at our pop-up market, in partnership with Metro. Plus, it’s a feast for the eyes at our fruit-themed balloon photo op. Snap a pic and share it on social media tagging @cloverdalemall and #freshpickins for your chance to win a $250 Cloverdale Shopping Spree!*
*Event info and full contest rules and regulations here.